Q: When is the earliest to sign up for a trip?
A: Ski trip sign ups begin on the third Wednesday in August. Except if there is a special opening. (See below)
· For the 2013-2014 trips this will be August 21, 2013.
· The sign up meeting will be at the Ramblewood Country Club. Directions are on our web site.
· Sign-ups start whenever the trip leader is ready but no later than 7:30PM
- You must be present to sign up for a trip
Q: May I sign up prior to a trip opening?
A: You may not sign up for a trip before the opening date unless:
· You are a member of the Board of Directors or the Ski Committee
- You are working at the sign up meeting
Q: What if I am out of town on the date of the opening meeting?
A: If you are out of town or cannot be personally present at the opening meeting and you do not meet any of the exceptions listed above then you may have another member sign up for you (see Q: May I sign up for another person?)
Q: What is a “Special Opening”
A: Some trips may open early due to vendor deadlines
· For the 2013 – 2014 season The Utah trip will open at the June meeting
· Sign-ups after the opening meeting may be by mail to the trip leader
· Mailed sign-ups must follow the same policy as in person sign-ups and payments as outlined below
Q: What do I need to bring with me to sign up for a ski trip?
A: You will need to
· Be a member. You must have paid for your membership BEFORE you sign up for a trip either by mail directly to the Membership Chairperson prior to the meeting or at the meeting BEFORE you sign up for the trip
o If you are going to sign up for a trip at the opening meeting it is highly encouraged that you join the club prior to the meeting since you must already have paid your dues before you sign up for a trip.
· Bring a check (for each trip) or cash to cover at least the cost of the first deposit; additional payment is always welcome. Credit cards will be accepted subject to club policy (See Credit Card question)
· Present a legibly completed and signed registration form which includes a hold harmless agreement.
Q: How much is the deposit for a trip?
A: The deposit varies by trip, but is at least $100.00. The trip flyer specifies trip prices and deposits.
Q: May I sign up for another person(s)?
A: On opening night each member of the ski club physically present may sign up for themselves and for one other member. (non trip participants may not sign up two other members)
- The person you are signing for
o must be a member,
o must have already provided you with signed registration and hold harmless form
o must pay the deposit for the trip
· After opening night one person may sign for multiple people with the above provisions.
Q: What if I miss the sign-up meeting? May I sign up for a trip afterwards?
A: There are a number of options for joining a club trip:
· You may sign up at any club meeting. Club meetings are on the first and third Wednesdays of each month at Ramblewood Country Club
· You may sign-up by mail by contacting the trip leader directly. You will need to send the signed registration form and hold harmless form available on our web site, as well as any payments due. If you are not a member you must fill out a membership form and include separate payment for membership.
Q: Must I be a member of the South Jersey Ski Club to go on one of your trips?
A: Yes, you must already be a member of the South Jersey Ski Club or have a reciprocal membership in one of the Eastern Pennsylvania Ski Council (EPSC) clubs (see below), and be 21 years of age or older to travel with us.
Q: I am a member of one of the EPSC clubs. Will you accept my EPSC club membership in lieu of your membership; i.e., reciprocity?
A: Yes, we will accept your EPSC club membership for the regular price of the trip. Special offers/early sign incentives etc. are only available to SJSC members
Q: What is the club policy on deposits? Are they refundable?
A: Some deposits are non-refundable, and some MAY BE refundable:
· The first $50.00 deposited for any trip is non-refundable in all circumstances.
· There is a detailed cancellation schedule for each trip on the trip flyer available from the trip leader or on the club’s web site. This specifies how much you will lose if you cancel depending on the date of cancellation. The club makes no distinction for why you are cancelling.
· Once the $50.00 non-refundable fee has been collected, the club reserves the right to return deposits or percentages of deposits to its members who cancel a trip depending on the financial status of the trip.
· If the trip sells out and your position has been taken by another member, all but $50.00 may be returned to you depending on club expenses for that trip. The details for each individual circumstance will be determined by the ski committee
o For example, for late cancellations on trips that require air travel AND where a change ticket fee is needed to accommodate your replacement, we will retain the change ticket fee which is normally at least $250; and may be more.
Q: May I pay for my trip with a credit card?
A: All posted trip prices have already been discounted for cash/check payment. Credit cards will be accepted at 2.75% additional cost. It may be less expensive to go to a nearby ATM than to pay with a credit card
Q: Do you offer discounts or incentives?
A: Yes we do. However, these are only available to members of the South Jersey Ski Club and not to reciprocal memberships
· If you sign up for one distance trip and one weekend trip by the official Kickoff Event in August, we will provide a $25.00 club credit that may be used at any time during that membership year, AFTER the Kickoff event , and for any club activity – including the trip you signed for.
· If you sign up for a 2013-2014 ski trip prior to or at the September 4, 2013 regular ski club meeting, you are eligible for discounted “Early Bird” pricing for the trip. Early Bird prices are specified for each trip and vary by trip. Early Bird pricing applies to waitlisted spaces deposited on or before the September 4th deadline.
Q: May I use my Frequent Flyer points or buy only the land package?
A: We will allow No-Transportation (AKA “Land Only” for trips with an air component, and “No Bus” for weekend trips) on a case by case basis:
· If you live outside of our geographic area (we reserve the right to define this on a case-by-case basis), you may purchase No Transportation packages they are available from the vendor
· If you are buying a No Transportation space you agree that you will meet the club participants at the resort.
o For trips with an air component(s), and you do not purchase the air component(s) included in the complete trip price, you understand that you have also not purchased ground transportation to and from the airport. For exceptions see the next question below.
o If there is transportation other than the transportation to and from the initial resort (and final resort in those cases in which there are two resorts) and which is included in the total trip price, this will be included.
§ Example: Transportation to and from the resort to the mountain (if included in the trip price) will be included in No Transportation pricing.
§ Example: The club flies into Airport A and busses to Resort 1, in mid-week the club busses to Resort 2, and then bus transportation is provided from Resort 2 to Airport B. No Transportation pricing includes the mid-week transfer, but not the transfers from airport A or to airport B.
Q: If I obtain permission to arrange my own airfare, will the club allow me to ride on the bus to and from the airport?
A: Transportation arrangements do not include the bus from the airport to the resort or the return. However we will allow you to ride the club bus subject to the following conditions:
· There must be space available on the bus after all of those who paid for airfare are seated and their luggage is on the bus
· You must be at the airport BEFORE the club arrives. The club will not wait for your self-arranged flight if it arrives after the club’s flight.
· If your flight is late (or the club flight is early) you will be responsible for making alternative arrangements to get to the resort
- If you are able to connect with the club bus, an additional fee may be assessed.
Q: If I do not have a roommate, may I still sign-up for a club trip?
A: Yes, you may join a club trip as a single if space is available and it does not negatively impact our contracted package with the vendor.
· The trip leader will do everything possible to find a roommate for you – however, you must either accept the roommate choice made by the trip leader or pay the single supplement.
Q: How much is the single supplement? Why is it so high?
A: The cost of the single supplement varies.
· The club purchases rooms (condos) from the vendor at a per person rate – not a per room or per condo rate.
o The price we advertise is for half of a room if in a hotel or for a proportion of the cost of a condo, and we are guaranteeing that we will fill the room/condo. That is why the price is per person DOUBLE OCCUPANCY
· In Europe, hotels do not have many single rooms –single rooms are most often very small and NOT in the best location in the hotel.
· On some trips the number of single rooms we may offer is limited by the vendor and we may not be able to honor your request for a single room. In this case single room assignments will be decided in the order of sign-up for the trip.
Q: Do you provide trip insurance in your price?
A: We do not provide trip insurance, but we do recommend that you purchase trip insurance.
· Trip insurance is often available from the vendor we are using for the trip. Ask the trip leader
- You may also buy trip insurance on your own
Q: I purchased trip insurance and have a claim. How do I proceed?
A: File the claim with the carrier. They will send you the forms to fill out
· Send the forms to the Ski Committee Chairperson and he/she will give you a letter to give to the insurance carrier
· The club adds its expenses to the wholesale price we pay the vendor. If you ask the trip vendor for trip costs, you will get a cost that is LESS than what you paid. The vendor also has no obligation to you as an individual. The vendor sold the trip to the club.
· You also have signed receipts for what you paid.
o If you lost your receipts the club almost always has a copy that we can send you.
Q: Why are you asking for a copy of my driver’s license or passport?
A: The club must provide this to the vendor in order to obtain airline tickets
· The club must provide name, gender, and date of birth for airline ticketing; do not obscure this information on the copy of the ID you submit.
· This also protects you from inadvertent errors in the spelling of your name, and from very high name change fees ($100 - $250)
Q: Will the club accept my Frequent Flyer number so that I may obtain FF points on the flights?
I need special seating on flights (aisle, extra leg room, must sit with significant other etc.). Will the club arrange this for me?
I have special status with the airline the club will be using that entitles me to special perks (free luggage, upgrades, etc.) Will the club submit this to the airline?
A: The club purchases group airfare to allow flexibility in ticketing. This class of airfare:
· Often does not qualify for FF points. You may submit your FF number at check in or after the flight has concluded. The club cannot help with FF points
· Often does not allow for seating requests prior to check in Most often the group is in the same section of the aircraft and members of the group may be willing to switch seats to accommodate you
· Often does not allow early check in on the web. You may, of course try on your own
· Often does not allow special perks, such as free baggage. If you have special status with the airline, you may ask them in advance if they will honor them.
Q: I am old enough to qualify for a discounted lift ticket. Will I get a discount off of the price of the trip if it includes lift tickets?
A: When a club trip includes lift tickets, most often they are already discounted.
· If the vendor allows an additional discount, we will pass the savings on to you
· If the vendor does not allow an additional discount, you may purchase a non-skier package (no lift ticket included) from us. You may then purchase the lift ticket on your own in the resort.